The Senior Mechanical Engineer | Deputy Department Manager position is a client-facing role requiring the ability to inspire confidence from the taking of a client brief through proposal preparation and project execution. Leadership is an important part of this role. The ability to motivate and mentor others in a dynamic growing office environment is required. This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to grow into the management team of our SF Bay Area operation.
Proven design excellence experience in complex (life sciences/ bio-pharma / pharmaceutical) facilities is required.
PM Group is an international project delivery company operating across Europe, the USA and Asia. We have a 46-year track record in project management, process design, facility design and construction management for leading multinational companies. We are world leaders in the pharmaceutical, food, mission critical, medtech, advanced manufacturing and energy sectors.
Essential Job Functions:
- Carry out conceptual design studies.
- Carry out detailed engineering including preparation of calculations and drawings directly and through supervision of other engineers.
- Support leading the Mechanical HVAC, Plumbing Department (Building Services).
Mechanical Engineering Responsibilities:
- All aspects of HVAC and Plumbing design, project delivery management and system modelling in compliance with PM Group safety and quality standards.
- Development of briefs and conceptual designs of HVAC systems.
- Load and system calculations.
- Hydraulic analysis of air and water systems.
- Specification writing.
- Building Management Systems – development of systems architecture as well as schematics, specifications, controls strategies, sequence of operations through all design stages.
Deputy Mechanical Department Manager Responsibilities:
- Support leading the Mechanical Building Services Department.
- Participate in projects as required, particularly at Concept and BOD stages and during Design Reviews.
- Develop best practice guidelines and standards for the department and projects delivery.
- Lead innovation within the Mechanical Department to ensure PM Group remains to the fore in engineering design, e.g. 3D Design, Simulation software, etc.
- Support Department Resource Management - allocate resources to meet project requirements, both in the offices and on our Managed Services sites.
- Recruitment and development of personnel – internal training, performance appraisals, mentoring, etc. for personnel based in the office and on sites.
- Interface with the Technology Team and Sector Heads to develop subject matter experts (SME’s) to meet sector needs.
- Business Development and execution of projects/activity – proposals, presentations, client visits, etc.
- Support commercial and risk reviews of projects.
- Minimum of 10 years design experience with at least 5 years in a Lead role.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent engineering degree with relevant experience).
- Masters in Engineering Management or equivalent would be an advantage.
- Broad experience in interdisciplinary coordination on projects preferably in the biopharma sector.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) by exam in California – required.
- Demonstrated capability in mechanical HVAC / plumbing / black utilities engineering design.
- Experience across a range of PM Group’s industry sectors – would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication & people skills, as well as time management.
- Self-starter and decision maker – leadership skills.
- Some travel might be required.