The Engineering / Design Manager for our Fremont Area office will coordinate and oversee our Mechanical, Electrical and Process Engineering Departments and manage numerous projects in the Pharma \ Biotech, MedTech, Mission Critical and Healthcare sectors. The successful candidate will have suitable experience of working with multi-discipline Engineering\Design, Project Management and Construction Management teams.
You will require a minimum of 15 years’ experience in Engineering Design of medium to large capital projects from design through to construction and commissioning with an excellent record in Health & Safety. A third level degree is preferably in a scientific or engineering field with an advanced qualification in Engineering Management a distinct advantage. Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills are essential along with a good understanding \ experience of project controls and governance through the full project lifecycle.
The role will include:
Having an overview of each department to ensure:
- Minimum unsold hours across the disciplines
- Standardization of salaries, ISP costs, etc. and monitor cost base across disciplines
- Design services are executed in compliance with PM Group’s QMS located on the Service Delivery Platforms [SDP].
- Ensure Department Managers and Leads understand the principles of Project Management and Design Management frameworks
- Each department has the required mix of knowledge, skill, experience and competence to deliver projects in the sectors noted above
- PM Group H&S Policies and Procedures are fully implemented
- Consistency in training, recruitment, etc.
- Compliance with Construction Regulations and other relevant legislation
- Compliance with PM Group HR policies and procedures
- Compliance with PM Group Design Management Procedures
- Compliance with PM Group Checking Procedures across Departments
- Consistency of Engineering Design deliverables across projects
- Promote Technical Excellence through PM Group’s Technology Group and SME development and links with relevant third level academic institutions
- Lead innovation to ensure PM Group remains to the fore in engineering design
- Lead engineering developments to ensure full alignment with Group and SF Bay Area office strategy, i.e. MOE, Managed Services, execution of projects in other regions, etc.
- Attend project design team and project review meetings as appropriate
- Foster a clear understanding of the commercial aspects of project delivery (man-hours and capital cost)
- Prepare manhour estimates and execution strategies for proposals and lead presentations to clients
- Participate in commercial and risk reviews of projects, i.e. Bid No Bids, Corporate Risk Assessments, etc.
- Interact and communicate with other Managers to ensure co-ordination of activities
- Resource Management - work with Department Managers to allocate resources to meet project requirements, both in the offices and on our Managed Services sites and Construction sites as appropriate
- Recruitment and development of personnel – ensure Department Managers undertake internal training, performance appraisals, mentoring, etc. for personnel based in the office and on sites
- Input to proposals – write-ups, commercial reviews, develop execution strategies etc.
- Carry out/chair technical project reviews
- Input to PM Group’s use of 3D and Intelligent Engineering Systems
- Input to and implementation of improvements in work practices across disciplines, e.g. LEAN Project Execution
- Resolving key resource requirements/conflicts across projects
- Input to quality initiatives affecting Engineering across the Group
- Assists the Office Operations Manager
- Reviews discipline performance on projects
- Encourage WorkShare across offices
- Develop business and customer relationships
What you will get:
- Attractive remuneration, while working in a multi-disciplinary environment, in a vibrant expanding international company, with opportunities to work on both domestic and international projects across various sectors.