Leadership is an important part of this role. The ability to motivate and mentor others in a dynamic growing office environment is required. This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to be part of the management team of our SF Bay Area operation.
Proven design excellence experience in complex (life sciences/ bio-pharma / pharmaceutical) facilities is required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Carry out conceptual design studies.
- Carry out detailed engineering including preparation of calculations and drawings directly and through supervision of other engineers.
- Lead the Process Department.
Process Engineering Responsibilities:
- PFD and P&ID development for typical life sciences unit operations
- Mass and energy balances / process and utility usage models
- Process Hazard Analysis – HAZOP etc.
- Process equipment design for life sciences manufacturing facilities
- Clean utility system design – generation and distribution of purified water, WFI and clean steam
- Specification and procurement of process and clean utility equipment
- Ensuring code compliance in issued design deliverables
- Lead, develop and mentor process engineering staff.
- Review submissions and installations for compliance with design intent and good engineering practice.
- Being resident on a construction site for short periods as required.
- Witness commissioning activities, trials and factory acceptance tests for compliance with design intent and good engineering practice.
- Act as project manager for engineering studies.
- Plan and manage work and resources.
- Present PM Group’s process engineering capability to potential clients in support of proposals.
- Liaise and coordinate with other disciplines within the USA offices, within other PM Group offices and with external consultants.
Department Manager Responsibilities:
- Lead the Process Department to ensure full alignment with the Group strategy and in particular the Dublin office strategy which includes significant growth in the Pharma, Food and Med Tech sectors, increased levels of MOE, etc.
- Participate in Process Design projects as appropriate, particularly at Concept and BOD stages and during Design Reviews
- Ensure Process Design is delivered to the highest quality and safety standards and with maximum efficiency
- Lead innovation within the Process Department to ensure PM Group remains to the fore in engineering design, e.g. Intelligent P&IDs, simulation software, etc.
- Resource Management - allocate resources to meet project requirements, both in the offices and on our Managed Services sites
- Recruitment and development of personnel – undertake internal training, performance appraisals, mentoring, etc. for personnel based in the office and on sites
- Interface with the Technology Team and Sector Heads to develop subject matter experts (SME’s) to meet sector needs
- Support Business Development activity - proposals, presentations, client visits, etc.
- Support the development of execution strategies for projects
- Support commercial and risk reviews of projects
- Minimum of 12 years design experience with at least 5 years in a Lead role
- Broad experience in interdisciplinary coordination on projects preferably in the biopharma sector
- Experience in commercial management at both departmental and discipline level
- Excellent communication & people skills
- Good time management skills
- Self-starter and decision maker
- Degree in Chemical Engineering (or equivalent engineering degree with relevant experience)
- Masters in Engineering Management or equivalent would be an advantage.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) by exam in California.
- Demonstrated capability in process engineering design.
- Experience across a range of PM Group’s industry sectors would be an advantage
What you will get:
Attractive remuneration, while working in a multi-disciplinary environment, in a vibrant expanding international company, with opportunities to work on both domestic and international projects across various sectors.